Sunday, May 20, 2012

Put Twitter Down! & Tidbits

If you follow my personal Twitter, you'll know that I went to Point Defiance Zoo over the weekend.

You'll also know that I was taking a lot of pictures and tweeting them.

Now I'm not usually the type to be glued to my phone, but yesterday was an exception. I love going to the zoo - I haven't gone since November last year - and I thought it would be nice to have those tweets up. For that purpose, I don't regret it.

However, I actually took more pictures than I put up, because my phone ran out of battery. I had to switch to my mom's camera - which I really love, I've got to say. But I'm glad my phone died on me for more reason than that.

Technology is a distraction.

It's the truth, plain and simple. It's part of the reason why I've been giving - or not giving - some extreme neglect to my GoodReads and Tumblr.

For that matter, I'm glad for two books I ordered the other day - "The Inside Story" and "The Council of Mirrors" by Michael Buckley. They're books 8 and 9 of his Sisters Grimm series, about two kids who learn that fairytales are real and their characters are living in the girls' home of Ferryport Landing.

I read books 1 through 7 of the series years ago, but I finally picked up 8 and 9 after a conversation with a friend. I enjoyed these last two, but I got more from them than a few hours of entertainment: I got a break from technology. A break from Netflix, a break from TV, a break from the Internet...

Yesterday, after my phone died, I still wanted to post some more tweets. So I took pictures on my mom's camera and began to write down on the back of a receipt what I wanted to say.

Except what began to form wasn't tweets. It was story ideas. And last night, it evolved into the first few paragraphs of a short story.

Guys, this is big business. I've barely been writing this year, and all of a sudden I get a short story idea - but not just an idea. An idea I love.

And here's the thing: showering today, I thought of two more ideas. After taking notes on them for several minutes, I realized I'd enjoy writing them too.

A trip to the zoo, a dead phone, and ideas for three short stories? What's up?!

...

In other news:

1. I loved the "Once Upon a Time" finale (can't wait for season 2!.) But I wanted to marry, intensely, the end of "The Vampire Diaries" season 3. Sure, this year has had its ups and downs... but I frickin' loved that finale!!!

2. I really want to go to Yale. Yeah, crazy, I know... but dreamy. (I love the Harvard campus... but I'm thinking Yale for early decision.)

3. Over the weekend, I was ranting to my mother about America's public education system. Specifically, my Chemistry class, and the age-old question: "The chicken or the egg - did the teachers or students go rotten first?" It's sad, and ironic, since my school's supposed to be among the top in the state - but I really only enjoy one of my classes, Algebra II. And I don't like algebra.

Do you feel more inspired when you're around less tech? Any amazing TV you've been watching? Any general excitements or irritations?

No comments:

Post a Comment