“Choose one self-published book to read, then briefly review it or talk about your experiences reading it.”
I found this topic interesting because, in my experience, I haven't heard much good about self-published books. It's sometimes been said books are self-published because the writing is bad, so self-pubbed authors can't find representation. However, I found this to be totally untrue for my pick, Torched by Andrea Lynn Colt.
A little more about Torched, via Goodreads:
Cheerleader Rose Whitfield's senior year goes up in smoke when she's framed for arson. Sure that the culprit is her neighbor Paxton, with whom she's been feuding since middle school, she sets out to clear her name and take Paxton down hard--not necessarily in that order.To some, Torched might sound like a load of fluff. I was dubious for the book's first few pages, too, but quickly began to enjoy the plot and admire Rose. I found her character refreshingly intelligent and willful, determined to prove her innocence despite obstacles. I also liked her first-person perspective, and the fact that she was flawed. For example: I did feel Rose sometimes jumped to (and held onto) conclusions too quickly, but her actions didn't hurt the story.
One of Torched's highlights is its combination of mystery and romance. The story kept me guessing, and I loved every scene featuring Rose's love interest. (I won't spoil but I'm sure you can guess who from the summary.)
I also like Torched's minor characters. Though I did hate some, I understood their motivations. They weren't two-dimensional like some characters you'll find in light mysteries.
My verdict: 4/5 stars.* Though I did have my criticisms, I enjoyed Torched more than expected (especially as teen mystery/romances aren't my usual type.) I picked the book because it sounded and looked like a fun, quick read, and it delivered perfectly.
*Edit: Though bear in mind, I'm not grading as hard as I might if I read mysteries more often (as I rate books by comparison, and what their writers aim for.) If you're turned off by shallow characters, "Torched" also might not be for you.
Follow the blog chain:
February 5th – The Writing Junkie
February 6th – Miriam Joy Writes
February 7th – Musings From Neville's Navel
February 8th – A Poetic Spirit Named Fida
February 9th – Sarah Hudson Scribbles
February 10th - Avon's Babbles
February 11th - Notebook Sisters
February 12th - Mirror Made of Words
February 13th - Lily's Blog
February 14th - Writer Bewildered
February 15th - Real Teen Reader
February 16th - Epistolary Girl
February 17th - Incessant Droning of A Bored Author
February 18th - Teens Can Write, Too! (We’ll announce the topic for next month’s chain)

I have to say I go along with you that this is not my type. Yet it does sound interesting. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting!
DeleteOoh, I love mysteries. I'll have to check it out!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, and I hope you like it! Though bear in mind, I wasn't grading as hard as I might if I read mysteries more often (as I rate books by comparison, and what their writers aim for.) If you're turned off by shallow characters, this also might not be for you.
DeleteI probably wouldn't pick this up on first glances, but I'm tempted now! I do think the cover is awesome. And I'm always up for a fun and quick read.
ReplyDeletestopping by from the tcwt chain
Thanks for commenting! I was definitely drawn to "Torched" because of its cover. Though I'll repeat my reply to Lily: bear in mind that I wasn't grading as hard as I might if I read mysteries more often (as I rate books by comparison, and what their writers aim for.) If you're turned off by shallow characters, this also might not be for you.
Delete